Bringing offenders to justice is pointless if these same criminals go on to offend again. Currently 60% reoffend within 2 years of release.
Leeds and the West Yorkshire area in general, has one of the highest rates of burglary in the country, and given the significant number of burglaries one offender can commit, the cost saving benefits for addressing a particular type of crime are substantial.
We have made some calculations to emphasise the impact Tempus Novo has working with one individual over the course of just 1 month.
- COST OF BURGLARY - £3,925
- ESTIMATED OFFENCES PER WEEK - 7
- ESTIMATED COST PER WEEK - £27,475
- A 4 WEEK CRIME SPREE APPROXIMATE COST - £109,900
The Billion Pound Problem
- Between 1993 and 2014 the prison population in England and Wales increased by more than 40,000, a 91% rise. As of May 2017, the prison population in England and Wales was 85,763.
- At an average annual cost per prison place of £35,182, this represents a total cost to the taxpayer in excess of £3 billion per year.
- The cost of reoffending is greater still; reoffending by all recent ex-prisoners is calculated as costing the economy between £13.5 billion and £15 billion every year.
- Reoffending rates in the UK remain far too high; 45% of adults are reconvicted within one year of release. For those serving sentences of less than 12 months this increases to 58%.
- In 2013-14 only 25% of prisoners entered employment upon release from prison. Just 12% of those ex-offenders referred to the Government’s Work Programme have secured employment that they have held for 6 months or more.
Our Impact in Numbers
- In our first 2 years of operation:
- Tempus Novo has interviewed 370 offenders, not all of which have been brought onto our rehabilitation programme.
- Tempus Novo has helped 137 of those on the programme secure interviews for jobs, of whom 132 made it to interview out of which 130 secured the position.
- 40 of this 130 , or 31%, have been categorised as priority and prolific offenders (PPOs), those most embedded into the cycle of crime. Although PPOs only make up 10% of all criminals they actually commit 50% of all crime. The five who failed to show for interview were all PPOs.
- 100 of the 130 have been in employment for over 6 months or are still in work.
- 12 of the 130 have since been returned to custody. All 12 are PPOs
- Of the first 71 placed into work, prior to engaging with Tempus Novo, this group have a combined total of 1079 previous convictions and 1861 arrests. The cost to our community of their criminal activity when using £65,000 per conviction equates to a staggering £70 million. Since working with TN the group have only had 71 convictions and 198 arrests. That amounts to a reduction of 89.4% in arrests and a 93.4% reduction in convictions (figures taken from the Police National Database).
- Since joining Tempus Novo, our group have spent 56,607 days out of prison and 28,251 days in work. Prison costs £96.00 per day on average equating to £5,434 million savings on prison costs alone.
- Additionally for every offender we keep in work, there is a £10,000 per annum saving in housing benefits and Job Seekers Allowance.
- As a result of sustainable employment, the reoffending rate using convictions committed pre and post Tempus Novo drops by 93.4% to an unbelievable reoffending rate of 6.6%.
- 45 out of the 130 have remained in employment over 12 months.
Join us in:
• Reducing Crime.
• Reducing The Number Of Victims
• Making Our Streets Safer
• Reducing The Burden On The Economy
• Mending Broken Families
Working in partnership with
Together... We are stronger!